Sunday, May 4, 2008

Teaching Poetry

Teaching poetry to high school students, including my daughter, can be quite the challenge. Everyone wants to capitalize the first letter of the first word of each sentence. I always have a few ee. cummings and the rhyming can be atrocious. However, when the children's work is accepted for publication--all is well. Six kiddies will have poetry in Western North Carolina Woman magazine. The editors, Julie and Sandi, are absolute saints. The day after the letters of acceptance were sent--all the kiddies were hammering away on their key boards like woodpeckers on an oak tree. The school has agreed to a Poetry II class next year--I just pray that enough children sign up for the class... Any teachers out there with ideas for the students????If so, let me know

2 comments:

Sunflower57 said...

What a wonderful poem!! I would love to hear more about how you decided (or were inspired!!) to write about Kansas- and yes, it is a great place to be- Rock Chalk!!

Parris said...

Thanks sunflower57. I dearly love basketball. I keep the gate at the school where I teach for the boys' varsity. I follow college basketball and the tv is on ESPN every Saturday!! I was cooking and heard the chant pouring from the tv speakers. I was mesmerized...and began to write.The chant is so mystical and magnetic. The poem was submitted to KU and actually ended up on Coach Self's desk at one point. The media department, Robin and Corey, took it from there....and now the poem is at the site. Hopefully, one day I will get to Kansas to hear the chant in person. Thanks for your kind words...